Pig farming: I Bought An Old Farm Tractor - And It Is My Best Toy Ever

My old farm tractor is the best toy I ever bought. I'm a simple man, I used to enjoy working on my car, changing the plugs, tuning the carburetor, just plain 'ole tinkering; that changed (along with the rest of the world) when computers entered the picture. And while they have revolutionized the way we live and work, they made tinkering a thing of the past. I refused to let that happen when I bought my first old farm tractor. I'm not a farmer by trade, but I love the land and enjoy dragging my bush hog, it keeps me in touch with the land. And tinkering? Well that keeps my old farm tractor running smooth and gives me some time away from the keyboard.I learned a lot when I started looking for my first old farm tractor. Old is just a term if the older tractor runs good and does the job intended, but be certain to check thoroughly when shopping. In my case, I brought a neighbor of mine along who just happened to be a John Deere rep, feeling certain he'd give my potential old farm tractor purchase, a good "once over".Of course what's a good older tractor for me, might not be your bailiwick at all, different strokes for different folks. So ask yourself (like you didn't already know) are you buying the old farm tractor for work or play (restoration)? Are you looking to save money with an older tractor, or are you waxing nostalgic and looking to create a pristine show tractor?Another thing to consider is the kind of service you'll expect; will you be working the field, tinkering like I do, or only bringing the old farm tractor out for county fairs. In any of these cases, when you're looking an older tractor, you'll want to make certain she's mechanically sound. If you're actually a collector (or tinkerer) chances are you'll know a local mechanic to bring along, they are worth their weight, believe me and could help you find a gem, or avoid a lemon.First thing my John Deere rep did was climb on the old workhorse to see if she started up easy, telling me if she did, that's a good indicator that the battery, compression, ignition and fuel lines are in working order. Now if it doesn't start, don't head for the hills, just make sure the price is right, since it will need a bit of work.The farmer who owned the old farm tractor told us to go ahead and... "Take 'er for a spin", he smiled then walked away to do some chores. While all sellers might not be so friendly, it's very important to test the tractor engine when it's warmed up; are then any leaks, how does the engine sound? Then, shut her down, and see if the old farm tractor starts again.While you're warming the old farm tractor up, and assuming you have the go ahead to actually take her out of the barn, check the brakes, if there okay, great, another mark for the plus column, if they're mushy and might need work, ask how difficult a brake job is, some older tractors have brakes that are very difficult to work on; this is where that farm tractor mechanic friend will come in.Check to see if the exhaust is, a little blue or black smoke might just indicate a needed tune-up, blue smoke may say ring job. If so, plan accordingly, or find another old gem to buy.Listen closely to how the old farm tractor engine sounds any unusual deep throated clunking sounds? Let's hope not, but if do, time to thank the owner for his time, and head for the next prospective choice.Years ago, back when they had "full service" gas stations, I remember the attendant saying... "Check the oil sir"? And that is definitely something you should do with your older (antique) tractor. Oil in a tractor is the lifeblood, does it look clear (indicating a recent change); or is there foam or water present. If you see drops of water that might be the head gasket and serious problems might exist. Water in the oil is NEVER a good sign; again, time for a "thank you and goodbye".Anytime you purchase a piece of machinery with the "new" worn off, take the time to be certain your purchase has aged gracefully. None of us want to see an old antique tractor rusting in a field, but neither do we want to buy a "pig in a poke". Ask, look, examine, test; and if you're satisfied, whip out the checkbook, put a smile on a farmer's face, then take the old farm tractor home and get some work done. [EXTRACT] My old tractor is the best toy I bought. I am a simple man, I liked working on my car, changing the spark plugs, carburetor adjustment, simply 'ole tinkering that changed (along with the rest of the world) when computers entered the scene. And although have revolutionized the way we live and work, made minor adjustments a thing of the past. I refused to let that happen when I bought my first old farm tractor. I'm not a farmer by profession, but I love the land and enjoy dragging my mower, which keeps me in touch with the earth. And touches? Well, that keeps my old tractor running smoothly and gives me some time to keyboard.I learned a lot when I get my first old farm tractor. Age is just a term, if the old tractor works well and is intended to work, but be sure to thoroughly check when buying. In my case, I brought along my neighbor who just happened to be a representative of John Deere, convinced that purchasing power would give my old tractor, a good "once again". Of course, what is a good older tractor for me, might not be your bailiwick at all, different strokes for different folks. So ask yourself (as if you did not already know) will acquire the old tractor for work or play (restoration)? Are you looking to save money with an old tractor, or wax nostalgic you are looking to create a pristine sample tractor Another thing to consider is the type of service you expect,? Going to work the field, as I do retouching, or just bringing the old tractor out of county fairs. In either case, when you are looking for an old tractor, you want to make sure it is in good mechanical condition. If you are really a collection (or hands) it is likely that you know a local mechanic to carry out, are worth their weight, and I think I could help find a gem, or avoid one thing my lemon.First John Deere representative did was get on the old warhorse to see if it started easy, saying that if he did, that's a good indicator that the battery, compression, ignition and fuel lines are in good condition. Now, if does not start, not head for the hills, make sure the price is right, because it takes a bit of work.The farmer who had the old tractor told us to go ahead and ... "Take 'er for a spin," he smiled and walked away to do some tasks. While all vendors may not be so easy, it is important to test the tractor when heated, are then leaks how does the engine sound? Then, closure, and see if the old tractor starts again. While you're warming up the old tractor, and assuming you have the nod to reality, take it out of the barn, check the brakes, although large, another mark of the spine also, if they are soft and might need work, ask the hard part is a brake, some old tractors have brakes that are very difficult to work, where the tractor mechanic friend come in.Check to see if the exhaust is a little blue or black smoke could indicate work required tuning ring, blue smoke can mean. If so, plan accordingly, or find another old jewelry buy.Listen closely to the way the engine sounds old farm tractor every deep gorge unusual clunking sounds? Hopefully not, but if not, time to thank the owner of his time, and head for the near future choice. Years ago, back when there was "full service" gas stations, I remember the manager to say ... "Check the oil sir"? And that's definitely something you should do with her age (old) of the tractor. The oil in a tractor is the soul, it is clear (indicating a recent change), or is this the foam or water. If you see the drops of water that could be the head gasket and serious problems might exist. Water in oil is never a good sign. Again, time for a "thank you and goodbye" Every time you buy a piece of machinery with the "new" gone, take the time to make sure your purchase has aged gracefully. None of us wants to see a rusty old antique tractor in a field, but do not want to buy a "pig in a poke." Ask, look, examine, test, and if satisfied, whip out the checkbook, put a smile on the face of a farmer, then take the old farm house and work a little tractor.